I made nebuse style of Sarusuberi (crape myrtle) twice, on March 11th and June 9th. This is a story about the first one, made on March 11th. Around 3 month have passed and finally they have buds!
Situation when I did nebuse in March
The situation was like this when I did nebuse in the beginning of March.
These are the roots I did nebuse in plastic pot. The fattest one’s shape was quite unique.
I planted the roots with (relatively) straight, not interesting shape in the pet bottle.
Now, how are they look like…?
I noticed last week that something is coming to the ones in the pet bottle.
New buds! It is obviously not sphagnum moss but new buds!
Closer look. Something behind the bud is the cut end of the root. You see something white? It must be callus. I expected new buds from the cullus, but these roots have strong tree vigor and therefore they have buds from the middle of the body.
From the other side. Another buds are coming.
Closer look. I see several new buds.
This is another side, too.
Closer look this bud is very thick and looks strong.
One more side. These are growing relatively straight.
And I found in the bottom that new roots are also growing well.
Closer look. They are growing very, very well!
What to do next
When I found these buds, I thought first that “Humidity is too high. I have to remove sphagnum moss asap or the buds will get spoiled.” So, I was about to remove the sphagnum moss, but…
As you see, sphugnum moss interrupts the buds grow straight. The buds will grow in the gap between the moss, and will have dynamic, unique and natural curve. This effect is the same as the technique “Amibuse”.
So, on the other hand I wanted to leave the moss as it is. As compromise, I decided to stop watering for a while in order to dry the sphagnum moss to avoid the buds gets spoiled.
So far I leave the moss but stop watering. I’ll consider what to do by next week.
Since the situation of the roots in the pet bottle is like this, the roots in the plastic pot should be the same condition. I’ll remove the sphagnum moss on the plastic pot and check the situation.
I’ll remove the moss and leave it for weeks so that the buds grow well and will be stable. Maybe in the end of July I can replant the roots in the pot as a tree.
After few days I took the photos above, I noticed that…
Above the moss, around the center…
New buds appeared!
Closer look. It is still small and weak, but growing anyway. Just beside the bud, I found bigger bud.
I moved the moss by a piece of wire.
Looks big and strong. Quite exciting!